Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Walking down the aisle: a few tips for brides

I guess one of the most exciting yet nerve-wracking part for the bride is the actual day itself, when she has to walk down the aisle to meet the groom. When I was a bride-to-be some years ago, my fear was actually tripping on the carpet halfway to the altar. And the church had a pretty long aisle -- it seemed like miles for me. Good thing that didn't happen, or else that would be so embarrassing.

It was also a good thing that I got a few tips from other brides and brides-to-be about how to stay poised and pretty while walking towards the altar. Here are some of the advices they gave me:

1. Make sure the dress is just the right length for you. This was one of the things that stuck to me early in the wedding preps. I've heard stories of ladies having a hard time walking because they stepped on their skirt, or they had to hold their bouquet and dress with one hand to prevent them from tripping. So in order to avoid mishaps while walking, better have your dress altered to your height.

2. Do the "kick-step." This was one trick I learned from another bride who was advised by her wedding coordinator on how to walk in her wedding gown. When you're about to make a step, instead of just moving your foot forward, try to kick the front of your skirt so that you won't step on it. But don't do a high kick. Just kick lightly so that your movements still look fluid.

3. Put the bouquet to your belly level. I've seen some brides holding their wedding bouquet too high that it covers their chest. If the gown had pretty details on the bodice, it would be a shame not to show it, right? Holding it just at the level of your stomach also makes you look more relaxed in pictures.

4. Walk slowly. I remember my photographer telling me, during the first few steps along the aisle, that I was walking too fast. He told me to slow down and move to the beat (my wedding march song was the canon from Pachelbel). The wedding is your big day and you must savor every minute of it. Besides, it looks a bit awkward when the bride seems to be in a bit of a hurry, don't you think?

5. Smile. Great for the photos and videos. Well I guess if you're a bit on the emotional side, that would be a bit hard (I've seen brides cry during their bridal marches). But you know, this is the most wonderful day, that single moment where everything just feels like heaven. So show those pearly whites. Smile as you pass by your guests, your friends, and your family. And of course, when you meet your groom. This also goes to the groom, the parents, and the members of the bridal party. The happiness that comes from your smile will surely radiate all around the place.

So brides, remember these tips and you'll really shine during your wedding.

Photo from blog owner's wedding.

3 comments:

  1. Number 1 is really very important! I remember in one of the weddings I've been to, the bride's gown was quite long in the front so she had a hard time walking. We, the coordinators, had to do some last minute fixing---we cut the petticoat and raised the hemline with pins. The result was good and the bride was able to move comfortably in her gown.While fitting, remember to wear your wedding shoes, or shoes of the same heel height with the ones you're gonna use on your wedding. This way, the length of the gown will be just right.

    Please visit:
    http://katcarneolovesweddings.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wore a short wedding dress so for sure I wouldn't trip =D And for my shoes, I had to wear it for an entire day so I could practice the heels. =D

    great tips!

    www.theblogforbrides.com
    www.journeyofawoman.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, simple yet so chic! Adore your dress, congrats to you both""

    Wedding Decoration Ideas

    ReplyDelete

Get paid To Promote at any Location